African Tigerfish (Vittatus) 3.5 - 4"
- Scientific Name: Hydrocynus vittatus
- Size of fish - inches: 41.3 inches (105.00 cm) - These fish get up to 3 1/2 feet (105 cm) and weigh up to 62 pounds (28 kg) in the wild, but they are unlikely to reach much more than about 30 inches (75cm) in the aquarium
- Lifespan: 15 years - They have a lifespan of between 10 and 15 years in captivity.
- Diet Type: Omnivore
- Lighting Needs: Moderate - normal lighting
- Temperature: 72.0 to 82.0° F (22.2 to 27.8° C)
- Range ph: 6.5-8.0 -
- Hardness Range: 5 - 25 dGH
- Water Movement: Moderate
- Water Region: All - These fish will swim in all parts of the aquarium.
- Temperament: Large Aggressive - Predatory - This fish is more predatory than aggressive; however, tankmates need to be significantly larger.
- Compatible with:
- Same species - conspecifics: Yes - These fish will swim in schools, though very large specimens may become loners.
- Tankmates should be similarly sized or larger to avoid becoming a meal.
- Plants: Safe
- Sex: Sexual differences
Males are larger and fuller than females.